Filbert Brush


A filbert is a narrow, flat brush with hairs that come to a rounded point. Used on its side, a filbert gives a thin line; used flat it produces a broad brushstroke; and by varying the pressure as you apply the brush to canvas, or flicking it across, you can get a tapering mark.

If the filbert has hog or bristle hairs, they will wear down with use. The photo shows the front and side views of a very old filbert and a brand-new, never-used one.

A filbert is a favorite brush shape for many because it can produce such a variety of marks. The No.10 filbert is commonly used. Don't throw away worn-down filberts: use them for dry brushing and you won't have to worry as you bash the hairs to spread them out.

Round Brush

Flat Brush

Bright Brush

Filbert Brush

Fan Brush

Angle Brush

Mop Brush

Rigger Brush